Thread: CANopen & J1939 on Same Bus

Default CANopen & J1939 on Same Bus

Are there any issues with having CANopen & J1939 being transmitted on the same bus? I've got an application where we have an ED&D 482CRM switch bank (J1939) & a Cr2012 in the same enclosure. In order to minimize wiring back to the Cr2500, which is in another enclosure 110 ft. away, I've run both CANs on the same bus. My testing here in the office hasn't revealed any issues; everything seems to be working fine. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any potential problems. Thanks.

What version of firmware are you running? On the 16 bit controllers I have not been able to run CANopen and J1939 at the same time, I was running V05 firmware. I know it runs fine on the 32 bit controller. If it does work for you it will increase your scan time but it shouldn't be an issue.

Erik,
    I'm using firmware version V040002 on the Cr2500 (16 bit). I didn't think that running the two should be an issue as long as I don't have a lot of bus traffic. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your reply.

This had not been possible in the past on that firmware. I would be very cautious about stability. In the past the firmware couldn't handle both 11bit and 29bit ID's at the same time.

Jeremy,
    Thanks for the input. Is there a version of the Cr2500 firmware that will allow us to do this?

version 5 MAY allow but I have not done any testing yet.