Thread: Logging Data

Default Logging Data

I've got three analog pressure transmitters, one rotary encoder, and four simple on/off switches connected to a CR0401 that I would like to log the data from.

I'd like to gather the timestamp and value for the pressure transmitters and rotary encoder as well as whether the switches are in the on or off position.

My thought on the switches is configure the inputs for voltage and read whether I am getting 0V or 12V to the input to indicate ON/OFF.

What is the recommended method for logging this data to a flash drive?

We have a data logger that I have built with a raspi and CAN module that I have used successfully on other projects, but the motors and sensors on that unit are strictly CAN based, so I can tee into the CAN network and peel off data that I want to log.

My thought with this current situation is to utilize a CR0451 and transmit the values I want to log to the display - I think I could then tee into the display and utilize the same raspi datalogger with the CAN module and grab those values and write to a file.

Would this work, or is there an easier solution that requires less hardware?
    Ryan Benesch | Design Engineer, Ice Control
    DIR: (563) 927-7117
    rbenesch@hendersonproducts.com
    www.hendersonproducts.com

I use a CR1081 with an EC2099 to log data however it's quite a bit more expensive than the CR0452 display (~$2000 difference). We used to have CR3101 which is no longer sold or recommend by ifm.

Quote Originally Posted by rbenesch View Post
    I've got three analog pressure transmitters, one rotary encoder, and four simple on/off switches connected to a CR0401 that I would like to log the data from.

I'd like to gather the timestamp and value for the pressure transmitters and rotary encoder as well as whether the switches are in the on or off position.

My thought on the switches is configure the inputs for voltage and read whether I am getting 0V or 12V to the input to indicate ON/OFF.

What is the recommended method for logging this data to a flash drive?

We have a data logger that I have built with a raspi and CAN module that I have used successfully on other projects, but the motors and sensors on that unit are strictly CAN based, so I can tee into the CAN network and peel off data that I want to log.

My thought with this current situation is to utilize a CR0451 and transmit the values I want to log to the display - I think I could then tee into the display and utilize the same raspi datalogger with the CAN module and grab those values and write to a file.

Would this work, or is there an easier solution that requires less hardware?
    Is the CR0451 already on the system? You could have the CR0401 create a couple of messages to transmit the data points that you need. The only issue I see is that the CR0401 won't be able to create a real time stamp (no real time clock). You could create some type of timer for machine hours though and log that.

The 451 was added as part of the data logger. My setup consists of the 401 which is transmitting the data points I need over the CAN ID's of my choice to the 451. The 451 is simply there for the operator to see the values being presented by the sensors.

I've then built a raspberry pi with a CAN adapter on it that is tied into the CAN network. It can essentially grab everything being transmitted between the 401 and 451 and write those to a log file. I have the ability to filter and log only the CAN ID's that I want to see, and the raspi will apply a timestamp to every line of CAN data that is logged. I've added a cellular gateway to it as well which coupled with some code on the raspi and it will dump data to an onsite network location so that I can access the log files whenever necessary.

That sounds like a great plan. I don't think you will find a more cost effective way to grab, store, and transmit the data than using the Rasberry PI. I personally have a Pi as well. It does allow you a lot of options for data storage and connection.

Hey Ryan,

Were you able to get the raspberry pi to work as a data logger for this system? If so did you build a CANbus adapter or purchase one, I have a very similar application and it would be awesome if I could use a raspberry pi as a data logger.

Thanks.

A standard raspberry is not suitable for industrial use (temperature range for example) but RS-components does have an industrial version of the raspberry. It has a totally different shape and needs a motherboard but still is not expensive. Another thing you need is a small ups because the raspberry doesn't like to be turned off when it is not prepared. You can find them on the internet, they are also not very expensive.

pkennedy - We purchased the CANBus adapter. Just search for PICAN 2 - there are a couple different iterations of it, but it works well and is fairly inexpensive.

b.koerts - thanks for the info on the industrial version of the raspi. I'll need to check into that. We don't run this setup for extended periods of time. It is typically used short term on prototype units that we need to gather data off of while still in the design process. As for the UPS, we started running one on the data logger after the first build because of the issues you mentioned. The SD card in the raspi has a tendency to become corrupted if power is disconnected.

Ya I found a company in UK that makes them and ordered one up, Thanks for the info, I haven't started testing the set up yet but hopefully soon.

Thanks.