Thread: CANOPEN Master/Slave Networks

Default CANOPEN Master/Slave Networks

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could layout best practices for network topology in terms of setting masters and slaves. Can I have more than one master on a CANOPEN network? In a CR0403/CR0451 system should the CR0403 be the master and the CR0451 be the slave? What about using only a display and several IO modules (ie. CR2032)?

Thanks!

Depends on the display, the CR0451 is the only one suitable (at this time) to use as a master that is controlling IO. It is the only display with the 100ms watchdog timer for the IEC task. If all you are doing is looking at inputs and controlling outputs that would be considered safe, then OK. If not use a controller.

In genereal I makle the controller the master. It is possible to have multiple masters but then this could complicate things since there would be more than one device sending NMT commands.

Thanks Jeremy. Another question: when you add a slave element under the "PLC Configuration" section, it automatically adds the Receive PDO-Mapping, Send PDO-Mapping, and Service Data Objects tabs. Do we need to do anything with these? Your CAN networks basics tutorial doesn't address these tabs at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can add the data in the Parameter Manager as to what is being sent and received in the PDO mapping when you use the CR0451 as a slave.

I find it much easier to use Network Variables when passing data between a display and a controller.