Thread: OUTPUT FB, Values Retained?

Default OUTPUT FB, Values Retained?

Just need a little clarification: Using the OUTPUT function block in the CR0403 library...

VAR
    OutCH0:OUTPUT;
    END_VAR;

WHILE (Some_Bool_Var) DO
    OutCh0(ENABLE:=TRUE,CHANNEL:=0,VALUE:=TRUE,MODE:=2 );
    END_WHILE;

It would seem as though this should output to channel 0 as long as Some_Bool_Var remains TRUE... however, the documentation states that function blocks retain all values until the instance is called again. In that case, the output to channel 0 will continue indefinitely, regardless of the value of Some_Bool_Var, correct?

If so, then the use of WHILE is pointless unless I'm wanting to increment some variable or something like that. If I'm wanting to just control outputs, I should stick with IF THEN...ELSE:

IF (Some_Bool_Var) THEN
    ELSE
    OutCh0(ENABLE:=FALSE,CHANNEL:=0,VALUE:=FALSE,MODE: =2);
    END_IF;

Yes?

Furthermore, unless I have something within the loop that sets the condition to FALSE, the loop will be infinite?

For instance, if I have a pressure switch as an input, with bool variable PRESS_SW, and the output to channel 0 opens the valve to increase the pressure...

WHILE (NOT PRESS_SW) DO
    END_WHILE;

Would this be an infinite loop? PRESS_SW would become TRUE once the pressure reaches the switch point, but the program would never leave the loop to update the value of PRESS_SW.

Am I understanding this correctly? I have a background in programming with structured text (C++, php etc), and some experience with plc programming in ladder logic only, so just wrapping my head around mixing the two together. Thanks!

Typically, you will want to call OUTPUT in every cycle, and manipulate the VALUE variable

Like this:

OutCh0(ENABLE:=TRUE,CHANNEL:=0,VALUE:=(NOT PRESS_SW),MODE:=2 );
    David Grambsch
    Automation Controls Engineer

FORCE America Inc.
    www.forceamerica.com

Thanks David, that makes sense. Am I correct in assuming that once the programs enters a loop, no other parts of the program are executed until the loop is terminated (the program does not cycle)?

Yes, any user created code will operate that way (until it hits the watchdog timer and turns off the controller). I would try to avoid adding loops unless you absolutely need them, they tend to increase your cycle time.
    David Grambsch
    Automation Controls Engineer

FORCE America Inc.
    www.forceamerica.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Grambsch View Post
    I would try to avoid adding loops unless you absolutely need them, they tend to increase your cycle time.
    That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks!