Thread: Multiple J1939 Joysticks

Default Multiple J1939 Joysticks

I’m working on an application with three, J1939 joysticks; source addresses 0x33, 0x34, & 0x35. My original thought was to use the J1939_RECEIVE function block & use the DEVICE & RESULT variables to sort the data for the respective joysticks.

I came across the J1939_SPECIFIC_REQUEST function block &, at first glance, it seemed like it might be a more straight forward way to monitor the joysticks. I was thinking I could use one of these for each joystick & use their source addresses for the DA variables. I tried this with just two of my joysticks connected (0x33 & 0x34). Both of the J1939_SPECIFIC_REQUEST function block’s display 0x34’s data. The only way I can get 0x33 to read is to disconnect 0x34. I know both joysticks are working, & are properly addressed, because I’ve verified their message using PCAN View.

Wanted to check to see if I was missing something. Thanks.

The J1939 specific request is is not meant for this type of messaging. This would be used to request a message that is only transmitted by request (such as engine hours).

Your method of filtering using the source address and result is the proper way to receive these messages. (You can drop in 3 separate J1939 receive blocks and filter by result and SA).

Thanks for the feedback.