Thread: Two J1939 Engine's on 1 network

Default Two J1939 Engine's on 1 network

I'm attempting to put two Detroit Diesel engines on one J1939 network. Each engine ECU appears to be made of three addressable components: a generic engine controller, retarder, and one other device (undefined).

By default these engines try to claim a base address of 0x0, 0xF, and 0x80 respectively.

What we are observing is any individual engine turned on will claim these default addresses. But when both are turned on, all communication stops. It appears the engines are not negotiating an address using the claim process. Has anyone tried this application before? are there any words of advice pertaining to this?

Also noted, i attempted to forcibly change the address of one of the engines, although it appeared to not respond to the request.

I have never tried putting 2 engines on one J1939 network. One of the Engineers from IFM Canada wrote an application for a 2 engine machine, but he used 2 different Canbus channels on the CR1081. Is that not a simpler option for you?

To me that is a Detroit issue.

I worked with Cummins on a large engine application. It had twin 2000 hp engines on it.

Engine 1 was Source Address 0 and Engine 2 was Source Address 1. This is how they set up all of there dual engine applications.

Some info i've found out about this since i posted:

Erik, you are right, this is definitely a Detroit issue. Their main ECU's do not address claim, so both @ source address 0 causes a conflict and both units stop transmitting.

They were able to reprogram one of the ECU's to address 1, which resolved that conflict, however there is a secondary ECU node 0xF which is a retarder controller (not sure why its on the engine as we don't have a retarder, but it is nonetheless). 0xF doesn't have a secondary address to reclaim to, as it was never considered to have a secondary retarder controller in the SAE spec. It appears this conflict is still causing an issue, we are going to attempt to reassign the retarder ECU on one engine to a non-standard address.

We are using CR0032 controllers, so i do have multiple CANbus networks, but our system planned to put those two engines on one local J1939 network. Plan B will be do do just that, we will have to do some rewiring/reprogramming to support it.

Tim

Just a follow up for anyone interested..

The address claiming just didn't work out on this detroit engine, some of the system would claim, but some did not. This created unresolvable conflicts on the engine bus.

We had to use the IFM controller as a gateway and separate the two engine J1939 networks.

Just out of curiosity, can you say anything more about your project. I'm just interested in what type of control project takes two engines. What do you make? Thanks, sorry the address issue didn't work out they way you'd hoped.

Frac units use 2 or more engine, some oilfield mobile mixers as well, that is where I have seen multiple engines used on a single skid. Mostly large oilfield equipment up here in Alberta and around the US.

Silas,

Here is a dual engine that I did some help with.

https://mining.cat.com/products/surf...ovels#6120BHFS

This was a drilling rig with a two engine hydraulic power supply. The two engines are for capacity and redundancy.

Wainbee, Erik, & tthomas... thanks, it's always interesting to see what's being done in other industries. Dealing with two sets of engine data sounds pretty interesting.