Thread: CR0232 Soft Reset

Default CR0232 Soft Reset

I am using a CR0232 controller which occasionally performs a soft reset for some reason (LAST_RESET = 3). There is nothing within the application program that calls for such a reset. After reset, the controller is in stop-mode by default and needs to be put in run-mode through CodeSys or by key cycle. The reset is randomly: sometimes it operates for weeks without a single flaw, sometimes it would perform a reset a couple of times a day. There is no obvious difference in operation conditions, which are perfectly within specs of these controllers.
    • The controller is part of a CAN network communicating with 6 other devices amongst which another CR0232 (same OS), which operates flawlessly.
    • Busload is 25%, the CR0232 under scrutiny accounts for only 1.5% of the bus load.
    • There are no error frames, however CAN_ERRORCOUNTER_TX might show a value other than zero (4/7) immediately after startup for this controller only; it does not increase during operation however.
    • Cycle times are around 3-4msec, no watchdog reset.

What could be causing these ‘soft resets’?

Just to verify, did you "Create Boot Project"?

Also what is the LED on the PLC doing?

This is very odd.

Yes, boot project is created. Application program will auto-boot after key cycle, the green LED will be blinking as one would expect. But at some time, one will notice that the controller I/O is not responding anymore: all logical states in the application program are still set, but all relays are de-energised (rail voltage is still +24V) and LAST_RESET is set on 3 (SOFT_RESET). The application program is stopped, the LED is fixed on green, not flashing anymore. Operator needs to key cycle or issue a start command from Codesys to force a restart of the application program.
    The application program statistics: Size of used data 22kb of 196kbyte, retain data: 98 bytes of 4096 bytes...
    Could this be triggered by an exception handling by the OS? (CAN stack errors,

I don't know what to tell you on this one. Did you try replacing the PLC to see if you still get the error?

Erik
    yes, this is what I did: a took another CR0232 with same bootloader, erased its application program (PLC reset), did a clean all and rebuild all before downloading the app program to this new PLC.
    I took the old one without changing a bit and put it on my testbench with high CAN loads (70%). It now runs for about 2.5 days without a flaw. On the machine, they could not have the issue for a week, and then observe it for 5 times on the same day.. it is very odd indeed. There is also no documentation on the reasons for SOFT_RESET ...