Thread: cr0403 not running and no program after power on

Default cr0403 not running and no program after power on

I do have some problems every now and then with a cr0403. I have a program which runs fine on the cr0403 but after moving the project to another computer (from work to home) I get a 'no program on the controller! Download the new program?' window. After downloading it will not run and after a power off and on it shows the 'no program on the controller! Download the new program?' again. This cr0403 was used on the first computer and there it worked fine.

I have had this before and I got them back to live by first downloading some old program first and then my new program. I think I can get it working again this way but there must be a reason, may be an important one, for this.

What could this be?

I tried a Clean all and rebuild all. I did put basic system v03.03.04 on the cr0403. Maintenance reports: basic system v03.03.04, sissystem v02.00.00 and basicbootloader v02.00.00.

----

ps Perhaps this is important. For the not working version I did copy the working software folder to a new folder and also renamed the .pro file to a higher version in the filename, I did this all with windows explorer.

Can this be a problem?

What I did now is open the working version in CoDeSys and then use 'save as' and point to the new folder already made and now it is working fine again. The program code didn't change, only the way I copied it and how I renamed .pro file.

Is it a bad idea to use windows explorer to copy a working program folder to a new folder and also change the name of the .pro file with windows explorer? Will codesys get confused this way? I like to do this to keep all the projects organized.
    Last edited by b.koerts; 11-20-2016 at 04:14 AM.

I also use a cr0452 for this project and the same (sort off ?) happens here. If I download the new program, which is not really new but only the project info text was updated, it will program but then if shows a communication error and I can't log in again. What I do next to get it back alive is turn off the power to the cr0452, going back to my previous program, which is the same, hit the download button and then I turn on the power. Now the communication is not blocked and I can download the working version before the communication gets blocked.

Very strange, I must be doing something very basic wrong...

I checked several files against the corresponding files with a compare program (notepad++ which is a really nice program) but the only difference I could find is the updated text from the project info input in the new file (as expected) and a different ProjectId number in the .SYM file
    I can get it going by going back to the previous version, which is the same, but does someone know what is going on?

Update: I went on experimenting and it seems that it is working if I don't update the project info text during the 'save as' procedure. I have done this at the same time many many times without any problem but then it was on the same computer. Right now I first did the 'save as' to a new version number, checked if it was running on the display, then I updated the project info text, checked if it still running and it did.
    Last edited by b.koerts; 11-20-2016 at 09:23 AM.

It is normal to get this message when downloading or logging in with codesys. any time any change is made the message will pop up.

Thanks for your answer Jeremy.

Yes, but something must be wrong because if it starts going wrong I can not solve it. If I download the software again it will still say 'No program'. The bytes counter will run until it is ready and if I hit 'Run' nothing happens, the green led stays on continually.

I found that going back to a previous version is the best way to get the device back to life. I get a feeling that changing the filename and / or directory is not very robust and I found a way to break it. Perhaps this is a CoDeSys issue and not IFM and if nobody else recognizes this I must be doing something wrong.

For now I will try to use 'save as' to create the new file and then open the project info from the menu and edit the text. This is how I got it working and normally I did change the text during the 'save as' action.

I will be doing some development this week so perhaps I know more in a few days.

Kind regards,

Bert

Hi,

I am a little further with my problem. I have been programming for many hours the last few days and all went fine, no problems at all. I did a 'save as' to go to a new file name to keep the old version for safety and this was fine as well. Then I edited the 'project info' text to keep track of all the changes I made. This is were it went wrong. Luckily I managed to get it working by going into the 'project info' again and remove my added text. Luckily I did only add text at the end so I was reasonable confident that I went back to the previous state (you never know what happens 'under water') and suddenly it all worked fine again. Luckily because the last changes would have been hard to do it over again.

I can produce this error quite easily, is there no one else who had this? How do you people keep track of all the versions of software, do you use VCS software like TortoiseHg or one of the many others instead? Or is there a Version Controle System available for CoDeSys.

Kind regards,

Bert

I usually have different version numbers. Also I add comments in the PLC_PRG that list what has been updated in the code.

I also spoke to a sales engineer from IFM Netherlands and he explained me that the text in the project info can be used by a function block in the application so perhaps I am not using it as intended. I can imagine that there is a maximum of characters for example and also I left the upper fields blank. These fields can be used to give a version number and the author but I didn’t need them and perhaps it is not a good idea to leave them empty.
    Thanks for your info, this is the way I will go as well and now I know what the problem is I remembered a thread on this forum about how to keep track of the revisions so I checked that as well. Thanks again and I hope this problem will be gone
    Last edited by b.koerts; 11-30-2016 at 05:26 AM.